New Musical Express on the 1983 reissue of Charlie Gillett's 1971 book The Sound of the City.
Reviewer Paul Du Noyer notes that "interest in old music has never been higher", with NME's own series of cassette compilations of vintage soul, jazz, reggae, etc, given as proof. He says the timely reissue of Gillett's classic tome can nourish the evident appetite for history out there.
1983 figures here as a lull, a flagging of energy, with a wide range of listeners and musicians looking to replenish the era's empty reservoir of inspiration by drawing from the aquifer of the archives.
But as the review reveals, the early '70s - when the book first came out - similarly were also a moment of "re-cycling, self-consciousness and nostalgia" taking over "from spontaneous forward momentum" .
Indeed Gillett cites Don McLean's "American Pie" as the terminus of his narrative for precisely that reason.
As so often, the Rift of Retro recedes ever deeper into the past...
Gillett's column in Record Mirror - back catalogue grave-robbing is in full swing as early as March 1970, ten years before the big reissue label boom of Edsel, Ace, Charly, et al.
A record I bought! It features hand-scrawled liner notes by Joe Strummer.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Those cassettes whose popularity with the readers Du Noyer proudly mentioned .... as cheap introductions to regions of the past (nearly always black regions), they were a very decent offer and reader-service indeed from the New Musical Express or (should that be Old Musical Express in this case?)









I sent off for several of these but then my interest flagged...
I was still too interested in the present.... didn't fancy turning into one of those tight-pegged pants, short-hair epigoners from a Biff or Serge Clerc drawing, forever (Courtney) pining for some long lost era of quality music....

Still I have to thank this tape in particular - and its compilers - for one evergreen delight
Straight No Chaser didn't turn me into a Blue Note disciple but it did introduce me to one of my favorite tunes of all time
I recreated the Straight No Chaser playlist on Tidal
Also made a playlist of versions of "April In Paris" (concluding that my favorite remains Thad Jones's)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Straight No Chaser was also the title of a magazine started a little later in the Eighties. Its founders include Paul Bradshaw, who had written about reggae for NME, and Neil Spencer who had edited NME during its postpunk era through to the era of the archival cassettes.
The look of that first issue is close to the NME cassette aesthetic, but more august and austere.
I don't think I ever once picked up a copy of Straight No Chaser - I took it to be acid jazz aligned, Gilles Peterson-vibed, a neo-conservative alternative to The Wire (founded a few years earlier in the '80s).
It seems to have been more adventurous than that, albeit always looking for the jazz connection in modern music. Its slogan is "ancient to the future" and they seemed to have liked it when your futuroid musician paid homage to the ancient ancestors, aspired to the tradition of live musicianship, and generally talked that kind of Talkin' Loud type of talk...
So they had Roni Size on the cover, in 1997, around "Brown Paper Bag" and New Forms.
4 Hero as early as 1995
(but not as early as 1993)
And again in 1997











6 comments:
Charlie Gillett may be best known to the generalist as the person who boosted Dire Straits' fortunes: Sultans of Swing came his way in demo form and he played it on his show. He was also the founder of Oval Records, the home of Lene Lovich when she was having UK hits, and also early offerings from Paul Hardcastle. Jah Wobble was signed to Oval: Wobble complains in his memoir that the Cambridge-educated Gillett looked down his nose at him.
I've still got some early editions of Straight No Chaser. It was good for finding out what was going on in the then-current worlds of jazz, Latin, African etc, but even from the start had some of the sensibilities that you identify (and skewer). I used to be a big Gilles Peterson fan: I remember listening to him on pirate radio in the mid 80s. He played lots of good jazz stuff from the 50s, 60s, 70s: opened my ears at a time when such sounds were hard to come by. Only later (as with the magazine) did a certain 'ancient music to the future' vibe creep in. Although I haven't listened to him with any great enthusiasm for more than thirty years, my missus has begun to dig his Saturday afternoon show on BBC Radio 6. The vibe is essentially the same as it was in 1991: the music may be recorded in 2026, but the ethos is "that kind of Talkin' Loud type of talk." Btw, The Wire wasn't immune to the neo-conservative movement in jazz in the 80s: there are plenty of covers which feature Courtney Pine and other besuited dudes (more likely to shift newsstand copies than the baggy sweater crew of course). Finally: you display the cover of Geoff Dyer's jazz book - I recommend his recent memoir, Homework (NB he was a massive Hawkwind fan when he was 14)
Apparently Charlie Gillett had a big role in the rise of Ian Dury, so I have that to thank him for. My brother brought home a white-vinyl version of New Boots and Panties; the first album I bought myself was Do It Yourself. The Blockheads were my introduction - not that I realised this at the time, what with all the swearing and naughty lyrics - to the richness of funk, blues, rockabilly, jazz, and disco. And through Davey Payne's playing, I heard "Roland Kirk" even before I had heard of Roland Kirk
But Beautiful is brilliant. One of the best books on music ever. But when I tried to listen to some of the artists he so vividly brought alive, I couldn't get into them. I made playlists based on the book, but listening felt like a dutiful exercise. Well, not initially - I eagerly imagined that whole worlds of pleasure and mind-soul expansion would open up for me... But I couldn't connect with most of it... Lester Young, Art Pepper. It felt lost to time - like this black-and-white world of suits and cigarette smoke. So after a while, listening did start to feel like a form of study.
For me, jazz really starts with In A Silent Way. Typical rock critic view of history!
I mean, yes Kind of Blue is fabulous.... some other odd stray things, like that "April in Paris".... but specifically with Miles, all the albums between Kind of Blue and In A Silent Way, I just can't connect with. Can't remember them after listening to them.
I have read Homework, it is very entertaining, although occasionally you do think "why on earth am I reading 8 pages on Airfix models?". The unexpected emotional pay-off at the end really brings it home - makes the earlier focus on nostalgic particulars seem at once evasive and a deliberate, cunning technique of delay, lulling the reader into a state of unpreparedness.
Quite recently I thought I would give the Gilles Peterson sono-universe a proper go... see if anything was there for me ... listened to some of his most celebrated mixes... I couldn't get into it.... and I love a lot of jazz-rock and fusion... but this stuff, I dunno....
Does ECM figure in that universe? That's much more my thing.
I distinctly remember Gilles Peterson playing John Surman's Edges of Illusion (ECM, 1979) on his radio show, sometime in the early 90s. I didn't know the tune myself at that point; it seemed to have more in common with very English prog rock than jazz, and as such a peculiar choice for him. I also remember him playing a track from Julian Priester's Love, Love LP, which along with Bennie Maupin's Jewel In The Lotus are I guess ECM's two most 'hipster' releases. I'm a fan of the label in its early years; after about '77 it gets less interesting for me, I feel a Jan Garbarek-fuelled orthodoxy sets in. Not sure whether you've heard about it, but about ten years ago ECM released some solo multitracked studio jams by Keith Jarrett, originally recorded in '86. He plays electric guitar, electric bass, assorted percussion and tablas to achieve some great trancey grooves. In the sleeve notes, he laments the end of what he believed was a certain community spirit that existed in the late 60s.
I recall reading a feminist critique of Geoff Dyer's work, namely the construction of a 'Geoffworld' by an unencumbered (ie child-free) globetrotting professional writer. He certainly knows how to party: I remember reading a dispatch from Burning Man that he wrote for The Observer. The accompanying photo suggested that he was well off his nut. The pay-off to the memoir does indeed mean that most of what had gone before in the book needs to be reconsidered . . .
Ah, I start taking an interest in ECM just at the point you start losing an interest in ECM.
Although there's early ECM stuff that's really cool too. But I love Garbarek-ism. And Frisell-ism. Not so sure about Metheny-ism.
I guess we're all living in our own constructed world aren't we - I'm in Simonworld. How else could it be? By most standards it's a fairly expansive and porously-bordered world, but it's definitely a world. I don't have much time for things I don't have much time for. And I can't see why I should make an effort. (I'm talking about aesthetics here - not civic responsibility or things like that). As soon as you bring effort into it, it becomes a chore and an exercise in virtue.
Post a Comment